Everyday we have to persuade someone. Whether it’s persuading your boss to let you have a certain day off, your kids to clean their room, or trying to persuade new clients to give your business a try. You are selling someone or persuading them on a daily basis whether you realize it or not. Are you good at getting your way? Most people aren’t that good at selling/persuading they try, but really don’t have the skills. There are people who are really, really good at this.
Here are 12 ways that you can persuade and sell people a little easier.
1. Have Confidence: People who come off as really confident tend to get their way more often. Like the late great Vince Lombardi said “Confidence is contagious, so is a lack of confidence.”
2. Limited Choice: Give someone a very limited choice and ask them to pick one. For example: if you are talking with a customer and they have some interest show them the two best options and ask them which one they would like. When you do this most people will answer with the one they like best. You gave them a limited choice so they don’t feel overwhelmed and this makes for a great close! For more sales tips click here.
3. Go Big First: Ask for something bigger than what you actually want first. This way you can negotiate down to what you really wanted in the first place. Do you want $100? Ask for $500 at first! When you go down to $100 the person you are asking won’t think of it as such a high dollar amount because $100 is far less than $500. (This works well when negotiating)
4. Talk With Your Hands: Use your hands more when you talk. This will make what you are talking about seem bigger. Don’t stand there with your arms at your side or crossed. Use your hands to make big gestures and the person you are talking to will take notice.
5. Do Favors: If you add value and do favors for someone once in awhile they will feel like they owe you. Don’t do favors for this reason only, but if you are of value to someone they will want to be of value back. (at least we hope so)
6. Agree: Even if you don’t agree with someone don’t argue. Agree with them and they will feel like you have something in common. You don’t have to believe what they are saying, but agreeing with someone is a way to find common ground. If you don’t really like what they are saying agree anyway, because an argument will be worthless and your chances of persuading that person will drop significantly!
7. Use Their Name: When you meet someone use their name within the first minute or two of the conversation. This will bring a more personal feel to the conversation it will also help you to remember their name easier. Don’t overdue it with using their name in the conversation. Use it in the beginning, somewhere in the middle, and at the end of the meeting. You don’t want to come off as tacky for using someones name too much in a conversation.
8. Compliment Them: There is always something nice to say to someone. Complimenting people will actually give them a good impression of you. Who doesn’t like to get a nice compliment? It’s good practice to compliment people when you can. It reflects back on your character.
9. Dress Good, Feel Good: If you dress good you will feel good. When you feel good you will be more confident. If you dress good, it will be harder for people to tell you no.
10. Make People Come To You: It is always easier to get your way when people come to you. If you go to them they will almost always feel like they have the leverage. When someone feels like they have leverage the chances of persuading them goes way down.
11. Give Gifts: Everybody loves gifts! Even small gifts give people a favorable opinion of you.
12. Give Them A Vision: If you are trying to sell something like a service give your customer a vision of what you can do for them. Use the words “Imagine This” in the beginning of a sentence when explaining the benefits your service offers. Those two words can be very powerful.
Persuading and selling people is an art and mental chess game you are playing with the other person. If you use the right combination of these 12 ways to persuade others getting your way will be easier and the person you are persuading won’t feel like they made a bad decision.
Of course don’t use these 12 ways to deceive people to get your way. Be good with your intentions!
Did you find this article useful? If so please share on social media and sign up for our Newsletter!